Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Accidentally In Love... With 2004

I'm a big baseball fan, and also a big Counting Crows fan, so I thought it was neat to have them perform during the opening ceremonies to last night's All-Star Game. I have to figure the reason they asked the Counting Crows to perform was because they're from San Francisco, and because they write hit songs.

The only problem is... Counting Crows haven't had an album of new material since 2002. And the song they performed, "Accidentally In Love," was from the Shrek soundtrack. "Great, you say! That new Shrek movie is excellent!" Except it was from the last Shrek movie, Shrek 2. In 2004.

Wikipedia says they're working on a new album. I don't expect them to come out and play a song nobody's ever heard before, but they did sound a little dated last night. That said, I really enjoy "Accidentally In Love." It's everything a CC song should be; catchy, jangly, poppy... I dig it. And I don't know who I would have replaced the Crows with, as I'm not all that familiar with the history of San Francisco's musical scene, but you have to figure there's some band or singer that would have been a more current option.

Regardless... if Counting Crows really are working on a new album, I'm excited about it, because I'm in love, I'm in love, I'm in love (and not accidentally, either) with Hard Candy, which I think is a great album... perhaps even better than their debut, which is one of those albums that changed my life back in the day.

No comments: